Sunday, March 7, 2010

Naked Gymnastics

One of the great mysteries of parenthood: Why in the world do kids love to be naked so much? What is the allure? Every morning, as soon as Janelle has gulped down the last of her orange juice she will immediately ask if she can do "naked gymnastics". Lilly, upon hearing the word naked, will grab her pajamas in both pudgy fists and yell "Nay! Nay!" Before I continue, I feel I should explain "naked gymnastics" as it is most likely NOT a phenomenon you have witnessed in your household.

Just so we're clear, we need to establish two facts immediately:

1.) The whole Sidelinger family DOES NOT participate in naked gymnastics. It is a sport created and enjoyed solely by Janelle & Lilly.

2.) No one is actually naked. For some reason, Janelle's definition of naked means you strip down to underwear. And Lilly is satisfied to run around in her little white Gerber onesie. However, this ritual has been dubbed "naked gymnastics" and all attempts on my part to tweak the title into a more accurate one, or at least one that's not quite so embarrassing when overheard by strangers, have been rebuffed.

The disrobing is, of course, just a precursor to the main event which takes place in the living room. All the cushions are striped from the furniture and laid out in the middle of the room, complete with ramps and climbing wall. Then my "naked" Nelly spends the next half hour or so leaping from various pieces of furniture into the comfy pit in the middle of the room, or rolling down cushion ramps, or scaling cushion walls. (Lilly is mostly interested in the climbing part and watching her big sister's antics.) We use our limited knowledge of gymnastics, ballet, and ice skating (Janelle's current fascinations) to dub her moves nonsensical names like the super straddle triple plie lutz jump. (It's quite a difficult move. Do not try this at home.)

I considered posting pictures with this blog entry but in my minds eye I could see my 16 year old Janelle looking at me in horror when she discovers that I posted THAT PICTURE on the internet. So I refrained.


1 comment:

  1. That's pretty hysterical Jill. Hope you guys are enjoying NG. I will have to try that with the Beab in our new home. I bet she'll LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete