Sunday, April 11, 2010

Generosity Meets Imagination

OR... "A Tree-Truck! Just What I've Always Wanted!"

Janelle loves gifts. Not just the receiving part but the giving part, too. For instance, we have friends who have a tree care company (Insert mini-shout-out to the Schatz family!!) and own one of those large tree trimming trucks complete with the extendible bucket ladder, etc. We've been able to watch this machine in action around town and even, to Nelly's delight, in our own yard. She finds it FASCINATING. So I guess it was only natural when last Christmas rolled around and she informed me (repeatedly) that she was getting me a tree truck for Christmas. And not a toy one either. (I asked.) She was going to get me "a really super-big, red one" so I could trim my own trees. (You know, in case I ever wanted to. Can't you just see me standing in the bucket at the end of the fully extended ladder, a chainsaw in my hands, Lilly in the backpack, and Janelle scrambling around on the ground lugging huge pieces of fallen lumber? Mommy & Me Tree Care Service) You have to give her bonus points for creativity. She wanted to give her Mama something very special and her little 3 year old mind came up with the COOLEST thing she could think of: a tree truck.

For my upcoming birthday, Janelle (who obviously doesn't yet grasp the concept of birthday secrets) has decided she is going to get me "a closet full of beautiful church clothes." Honestly, I'm not sure if she finds something lacking in my current wardrobe and she has instigated her own version of "What Not To Wear" or if this just serves to emphasize her fascination with all things "beautiful."It should be noted that Janelle's interpretation of "beautiful" has been deeply influenced by the princesses she sees in books. If I show up at church in Cinderella's ball gown, you'll know why. And my cake, you ask? Well, Janelle has planned not one, but TWO cakes: banana and tangerine, respectively. (Obviously, the flavors were chosen by Janelle since my choice would be Death by Triple Chocolate Mocha Supreme Peanut Butter Swirl Can-We-Fit-Any-More-Chocolate-In-Here Cake.)

There are still some holes in Janelle's gift-giving philosophy since I have yet to actually receive my promised tree truck and I don't think it has occurred to her who will make my banana and tangerine cakes. I'm choosing to focus on "It's the thought that counts" at this point.


No comments:

Post a Comment