I even have this handsome wooden fella I haul out every Christmas.
Although I do refer to him as Nick.
Anyway, my issue with Santa Claus starts on an admittedly selfish basis. We work very hard to come up with fantastic, knock-your-socks-off, giddiness-inducing gifts. When we hand our girls a present, we want them to know that we love them so much, we know them so well, that we picked out this perfect present just for them. Gift giving in itself is an act of love. Why in the world would we want to hand them that present and tell them that some stranger dropped it off for them?
After that, it gets a bit more controversial.
It is our duty as parents to teach our children to speak truth, to love truth, to seek truth. I'm sure you see where I am going with this. Santa Claus, no matter what kind of fancy, sparkly packaging you want to wrap him up in,
is
a
lie.
I can almost see you bristling at that statement. And I know that there are all kinds of justifications being waved around in defense of dear ol' Santa. But I just can't find any biblical support of "Thou shalt not lie unless it is about a whimsical Christmas story to delight your children." I will not lie to my children. I see no purpose in it, no virtue in it. I cannot, in good conscience, discipline my girls for lying to me when I make a habit of lying to them every Christmas. No matter the reason.
The myth of Santa Claus has undeniably saturated every aspect of our Christmas culture. He is in our Christmas programs, our Christmas parties, on wrapping paper and greeting cards, tv and commercials, in our music and in our children's books. The first words out of most well-meaning adults at Christmas time are usually "Is Santa coming to your house soon?" or "What is Santa bringing you this year?"
You know that grin and gleam in their eye when your kids talk about Santa Claus and presents?
Do they have that same look when they talk about Jesus being born in a stable?
Christmas in this country has come to mean little more than Santa Claus and presents. Honestly, we should expect nothing less of the secular community. My issue is that we as Christians have done little to dispute it or to model anything different in our homes or in our lives. Instead we have embraced it and now, in most Christian homes, Jesus shares his throne with Santa Claus.
And frankly, that is absolute blasphemy.
Is it that we are afraid to look different? To stand out? To rock the boat? The reality is that we are CALLED to look different, to BE different. Christians, by definition, are supposed to be set apart, to stand out, to
ROCK
THE
BOAT.
Our heavenly Creator spoke and galaxies formed. He breathed and the angels heard Adam's first heartbeat.
He is Infinite.
Endless.
Eternal.
He is Lord of Lords and King of Kings.His name is Father, Comforter, Savior, Healer, Redeemer, Coming King, Emmanuel, and Prince of Peace.
Speak His name and the demons tremble.
Call upon His name and He is mighty to save.
This day, of all days, is for HIM. And He should not have to share one drop of glory with any fat man in a red velvet suit.
In our house, Nick will still be unpacked every year to sit in his favorite spot. We will still sing silly Santa Claus songs, make Santa Claus crafts, and read classic Santa Claus stories.
But Santa's story will not be presented as truth. It can't hold a candle to the real Christmas story.
The Sovereign King of the Universe cherished us enough to step down from heaven, wrap His majesty in the skin of a newborn, and live with us. To suffer for us. To bleed for us. To die for us. To redeem us.
That is our only Christmas Truth.



outstanding!!!
ReplyDelete