Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Great Vegetable Experiment

I have a confession to make. I hate vegetables. I want to like them. I really do. It's just that they are so odd looking and generally taste like feet. Or worse.

Since becoming a mom, I have done my best to serve vegetables to my family and gag them down myself. (Except peas. I draw the line at peas. As an adult, I feel it is my right to make the choice to never ingest another pea as long as I live.) But lately I have realized that we are in a vegetable rut. It is just easier to serve the "safe" vegetables (aka: peas, green beans, corn) that my children will eat without engaging in the whine-fest.

But I want them to learn to be adventurous with their food. To try new recipes. To realize that there is world of tastes beyond beans and corn. And who knows? Maybe this old mama can learn to like some new veggies, too.

Which brings us to "The Great Vegetable Experiment." The Ground Rules:
1.) Once a week we will be trying a new vegetable or an old vegetable cooked a new way.
2.) Every one at the table must take one bite.
3.) No whining. For every whine, an additional bite gets put on your plate.
4.) Family input on choices for the weekly vegetable is welcome and encouraged.

Week 1 Vegetable: Oven Roasted Broccoli 
(Adapted from Ben and Birdy)

Perhaps broccoli is not an adventurous food in your house but in our family the only one who eats it willingly is Andy so it fit our qualifications nicely. 

1 head of broccoli
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp olive oil

Adjust oven rack to lowest position and preheat both oven and a cookie sheet to 500 degrees. Cut broccoli into small bite-sized pieces. Toss with olive oil, sugar and salt. Use your hands to mix and thoroughly coat all the broccoli. Spread on pre-heated cookie sheet and roast for about 9-11 mins until broccoli is crisp and browned. Serve immediately.

Verdict: I was braced for a riot but dinner went well. Each girl ate their bite with no whining. Andy declared the recipe a winner and I even voluntarily had 8 or 9 bites. 500 degrees must cook the stinky feet taste right out of broccoli.

Week 2 Vegetable: Chicken and Asparagus Stir-Fry
(Adapted from Gimme Some Oven)



I am ashamed to say that I have never purchased asparagus in my life and actually had to google how to cut one. I may or may not have made one dance and sing like Junior Asparagus...

1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp honey
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 bunch asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tsp sesame oil

Combine soy sauce and honey and marinate chicken for at least 4 hours. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and saute until cooked, about 5 mins. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Add chicken to skillet, reserving marinade. Saute until nearly cooked through then add garlic, onions, and reserved marinade. Saute an additional 2 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil. Add asparagus. Serve over rice.

Verdict: Oi. This was an event, to say the least. Both parents gave this recipe two thumbs up. One child ate her bite right away without a fuss. The second child engaged in an escalating tantrum that ended with her standing on the bench screaming in anguish at the top of her lungs"I CAN'T EAT IT!!!! I CAAAAAAAN'T!!" I would bet the neighbors heard her and thought we were feeding her live worms. In the end, she ate it. And this recipe was yummy enough to be a keeper.

Next Up? Red bell peppers by request of the screamer.


1 comment:

  1. I love your approach and look forward to reading Weeks 3 & 4! I think the trick to liking vegetables is plenty of seasoning. Have you ever tried peas with sauteed onions and curry powder? Consider Red & Green Pockets.

    ReplyDelete