Over the years I hope I have made two things abundantly clear: Jesus is our passion and adoption is our hearts' cry.
However, along the way I have hinted at some other values that drive us: home-grown food, sustainable green living, and responsible use of our natural resources.
Each of those could be an entire blog post but lets just say we devour Michael Pollan's books, we'd vote Joel Salatin for president in a heartbeat, and I long for my own family milk cow.
We pine for a homestead of our own and talk dreamily of everything from solar panels to pastureland but know that this little corner lot on the edge of town is exactly where God wants us.
In the meantime we run the pressure canner liked fiends, obsessively expand the garden every year, and have started our own rabbitry for meat. (Don't think cuddly little pets named Foo Foo, think delicious roasts that taste like chicken and are even better for you.) And Coming Soon: Chickens!
One thing we've always wanted to do is hit the annual Mother Earth News Fair in Somerset, PA (where farmers, survivalists, hippies, homesteaders, yuppies and hobby gardeners all mingle happily) so as an early anniversary gift to each other, this year was our year.
There were seminars on everything from cover crops and permaculture to chicken processing and bee keeping to herbal remedies and DIY solar panels. And everything in between.
And Joel Salatin!
We went to seminars with names like "What the Cluck?!? Getting Started with Chickens and Gardening" and "Easy Peasy Edibles" and loved every minute of it.
Andy did not let me take this gorgeous girl home so I had to settle for a picture instead.
One day, Gladys.
One day.
Monday, September 15, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment