Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Fat Lady

If you're wondering what that sound is, it's the sound of the fat lady singing, my friends. (Don't mind her if she sounds slightly winded.)

Because

it

is

over.

Five 5K's completed. $2,300 raised. People impacted. Memories made.

What more could you ask of a fundraiser?

Part of me is relieved. Relived that Galeton's rocky dike, Johnsonburg's hardcore speed demons, Mt. Jewett's surprise extra-distance, St. Marys' horrid humidity, and Emporium's beastly hills didn't just kill us all outright.

But truthfully, I am more than a little sad to call it "over." It was one of those rare, sweet times in life that you know will never be duplicated. So you just hold your breath and try to soak it all in while you can.

I loved slapping the hands of passing teammates on an out-and-back race route. I loved watching E get her first-ever racing trophy. I loved being shocked by the spontaneous generosity of strangers. I loved hearing all our kiddos cheer us over the finish line. I loved standing anxiously with my friends at the starting line and comparing notes on the race afterwards. I loved watching Sherry cruise across the finish line 2 minutes faster than anyone expected after only 5 weeks of training. I loved laughing about honey shots and bizarre t-shirt designs. I loved watching these guys take victory laps with Mark when it was all over. I loved that our team grew and grew (and grew) with every race.

And most importantly, I love that all these people (and more) are excited about a child they've never met.


Come home soon, little one. You are already so dearly loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment