Week 5 was black beans. We already happily eat black beans in soups and chili so I had high hopes that this one would go over well but my downfall was my recipe choice. It was a dud. I'm not even going to write it up. We all ate our one bite but no one was interested in more.
We will be revisiting black beans. I'm still rooting for them.
Week 6: "Just Like Loaded Baked Potatoes" Cauliflower
(Adapted from Food.com)
Cauliflower is one of the few things on the planet that Andy hates. (The list is astonishingly short: Cauliflower, sweet relish, and all raw fish.) Honestly, the girls and I were looking forward to finally watching him eat something that might make him squirm a bit.
2 1/2 cups cooked cauliflower
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cups shredded cheddar
1/2 cup finely diced onions
6 slices cooked bacon
Cut cauliflower into fine pieces and crumple bacon into bits.Mix sour cream, onions, half the cheese, and half the bacon in a bowl with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cauliflower. Place in baking dish, top with remaining cheese and bacon, and bake for 20 minutes at 350.
Verdict: We are here to testify that if you don't like cauliflower to begin with, even bacon and cheese can't salvage it. (I was even overly generous with both.) After we had all had our required bite, Andy whisked this up to the in-laws for their dinner. They declared it fabulous. So if you like cauliflower, this one is for you. And no, we are not going to try option 1. This family is officially done with cauliflower.
Next up: Avocados!!



I hate cauliflower and I agree, there is NOTHING you can do it to make it better! It's nasty. A tip for avocado...it's nasty warm. DO NOT COOK AN EGG IN IT. It's super gross!
ReplyDeleteHahaha! Good to know! :)
DeleteHow cool, though, that your kids could see that grown-ups can try something, not like it, but then keep adventuring into new foods even after some "failures". Maybe it wasn't a total bust after all!
ReplyDelete(I like that the grandparents could eat what didn't pass in your house. Would they be interested in being our designated meal-takers, too? We've had some bombs lately as well! :) )