Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Post-It

Sometimes the key to being a mother is not just solving a problem, but distinguishing what the problem is in the first place. On Wednesday mornings Janelle goes to daycare from 8 AM - Noon to learn a little socialization and independence. Today when I picked her up I discovered that each child had been given a book about penguins to take home. We were all ready to leave, I had Lilly in her car seat in one hand and I reached to take Janelle's with the other.

"Don't forget my penguin book, Mama."

"I have it right here, Nelly, " and I took it out from under my arm to show her.

"That's not my book!" Her look was one of pure horror. My immediately thought was Uh-Oh.

"Yes it is, sweetie. Look it says For Janelle right here on the post-it."

"NO! That's not my book!" It was much louder this time.

"Honey, yes it is. You know what your name looks like. Look, it says Janelle right here. This is your book."

"THAT'S NOT MY BOOK!!"

This little exchange continued for a few minutes with Janelle becoming more adamant and tearful, Mom becoming increasingly frustrated, and poor Lilly, who just wanted to get home and get to bed, getting fussier and fussier. Finally, I thought to ask what I should have asked in the beginning. Sometimes I'm not all that quick on my feet.

"Nelly, why isn't this your book?"

"That's because my book had paper over the penguin's head."

Oh brother. When I first picked up the book I had removed the post-it on which Janelle's teacher had written her name in order to see the cute, fuzzy, baby penguin on the front cover. Apparently, when I replaced the post-it I had put it *gasp* on the WRONG SPOT! I turned around, moved the post-it to cover the penguin, and then flashed it for Janelle to see.

"Here's your book, sweetie!" Her look of relief was adorable.

"Oh, there it is Mama! We can go home now!"



No comments:

Post a Comment