Monday, April 27, 2009

Daddy Day

Today we celebrated the First Annual Daddy Day ~ a randomly chosen day every year to tell Andy how much we love him and appreciate him. Yes, Father's Day is pretty much the same general concept but it sometimes seems so commercial and obligatory. Daddy Day is completely initiated by us girls to shower love and affection on our favorite guy in the whole wide world. He is a fantastic husband and father ~ self-sacrificing, affectionate, devoted, and patient. I thank Jesus everyday for His amazing gift of a partner and soul-mate.

This year Janelle was my big helper although Lilly did supervise (aka: drool on our signs), encourage us (aka: try to shove balloons in her mouth), and offer suggestions (aka: gaze longingly at the cake). We made Andy one of his favorite dinners and teamed it up with a great big Texas Sheet Cake. Janelle and I made signs and hung balloons and to top it all off we bought one big case of Diet Mt. Dew which we rarely ever buy. (It's one of Andy's few "addictions". I think if he could be hooked up to an IV of Diet Mt. Dew he would be one happy camper.) All in all, the evening went splendidly and after being initially a little confused as to what all the fuss was about, Andy seemed to genuinely appreciate our gesture.

TEN THINGS WE LOVE ABOUT DADDY:

1. He tells all 3 of his girls "I love you" several times a day.

2. He can make the most intricate and complicated designs out of Duplos, anything from robots to pirate ships to elephants.

3. If Janelle wakes up upset in the middle of the night, he will rock her and sing "Jesus Loves Me".

4. He has never once missed our anniversary or my birthday and he remembers things about when we were dating that even I have forgotten.

5. Anytime either of the girls has woken up in the night to nurse, he will always get up first and change their diaper for me.

6. He will proudly wear princess jewelry for Nelly. Or crazy hats.

7. He always kisses me goodnight.

8. He braved broken recliners and lumpy hospitals beds without complaint to stay with me every night I was in the hospital when the girls were born.

9. He has given up hobbies he loves in order to spend more time with us.

10. He adores his girls.

Daddy & Lilly


Daddy & Janelle



2 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo for random family traditions! Those are the best memories. (How long did the Texas Sheet Cake last? :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a well deserving man!I watch Andy often when he doesn't notice. He is one of the most loving, caring, patient men I know. He illustrates what The Apostle Paul said when he instructed men to "love their wives as Christ loved the church". Denise and I couldn't be prouder than we are of Andy. He deserves daddy day.

    ReplyDelete