Thursday, May 3, 2012

Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins

We like to play fast and loose with our breakfast food around here. Cereal is more often a mid-morning snack and french toast and sausage make frequent appearances at the dinner table. Last night we had cheesy scrambled eggs and toast for dinner.

We like our breakfast foods and we like them all. day. long.

Our traditional morning meal is most often homemade muffins or a loaf of quick bread so in homage to our love of all things breakfast-y, I thought I would share our favorite muffin recipe.

Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins
1 cup oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (I set ours to about 385 because it tends to run a bit hot.)

In a bowl, combine oats, flours, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.

Fill one dozen greased or paper-lined muffin cups and bake 15-17 minutes.

Confession: More often than not we also throw in about 1/3 cup butterscotch chips. So yummy. It definitely  undermines the healthiness of the muffin a tad, but who can say no to a butterscotch chip? I find that Mondays are best tackled with the aid of a few butterscotch chips.

Try it. You'll see.






2 comments:

  1. Do you bake them fresh in the morning or do you make them ahead? I am not really very functional in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness no. :) We usually bake them together the afternoon before and then enjoy them for breakfast for the next several days - same thing with banana bread, zucchini muffins, etc. I don't function well first thing in the morning either. :)

      Delete